The Restless Gemini

Έν οίδα ότι ουδέν οίδα --- Hen oida hoti ouden oida

November 27, 2005

Les Catacombes de Paris

Hold on...Iam not posting anything in French here. I happened to remember a TV programme I watched a few years back about a trip through the Catacombs of Paris. A Catacomb happens to be an underground cemetery consisting of chambers or tunnels with recesses for graves(quoted verbatim from www.dictionary.com). I came to know through the programme, that in Paris there exists an underground cemetery, in which bones of generations of Parisians have been stored in order to solve the problem of overpopulation in the cemeteries of the capital.

A fresco on the wall of the Paris Catacombs

Although the Italian Catacombs in Rome, are much older than the Parisian Catacombs, Iam still posting about this since the trip through the labyrinthine Catacombs which seemed to run into a maze, was really scary. I vaguely remember that the people who had entered (I believe they had taken the permission...were searching for some treasure...but returned empty-handed). I learnt a little bit more about the Catacombs from this site.
http://membres.lycos.fr/houze/english/
Be sure to read about Philibert Aspairt there. I deliberately posted a "cool" fresco, rather than something bizarre on my blog.

Some people might have noticed that I don't post my views/comments about incidents,happenings as much as I like making a note about general things. That is because my views are as restless as my blog itself. So I believe there is no point bothering myself and my readers with my views. And I somehow like making notes of the things, which I have watched, listened, read over a period of time, so that I can comeback in future to refer. I should say, that the blog is an ideal online diary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home